I recently came across another blog on the front page of wordpress (how do you get to be on the front page, anyway?) and was enamored by posts about pregnancy, friendships, DIY projects and summer to-do lists. It got me thinking that my blog doesn’t always have to be so serious. So far I’ve tackled moving anxiety, cancer, and envy, so now I think it’s time to talk about something a bit more lighthearted: Summer!
Ahhh, summer. How long you have evaded us, my friend. And now that you have finally shown your face (albeit you showed up a little early this year!) and I am done licking my wounds for not completing bucket list # 48 go see a taping of Oprah, I for one am going to set some goals for my last (possible) summer in the city.
Samantha’s Summer Bucket List:
1) I can’t wait for Summer in the City by the Boston Harbor! Every year I say I’m going to take advantage of the outdoor movies and live music that is set on a floating stage anchored behind the hotel at the Rowes Wharf and I never do. Well this year count me in Field of Dreams and The James Montgomery Band (even if I don’t know who you are!).
2) Boston Wine Festival. ‘Nuff said.
3) Picnic at Walden Pond. Now I know that this isn’t exactly in the heart of the city (for you out-of-state peeps it’s about 20 miles away), but it’s still something that I’ve always wanted to do and would be a perfect outing with SHL or with friends (or both!).
4) Thought fish bowls were a thing of the past? How I miss those days at Brother Jimmy’s in NYC! Well now I can sip al fresco at The Landing at Long Wharf; a perfect summer evening for sure.
5) Finally make that home-made ice cream. SHL and I got an awesome ice cream/frozen yogurt/sorbet maker for our wedding, but then winter clobbered us and I was perpetually too cold to eat ice cream. Now that it’s blazing hot out, though, I can certainly easily conjure up images of mint-chocolate chip ice cream…
6) Run through the sprinklers. Yes, you read that right. It was one of my most favorite things to do as a kid, and now that I’m past the age of 30 (OK, past the age of 8) it’s kind of frowned upon, isn’t it? So maybe one of you will let me borrow your kid(s) for a day?
7) Channel my inner secret-agent and play a virtual reality game powered by Urban Interactive’s city adventures. This is kind of like a scavenger hunt meets an online video game. Doesn’t that just remind you of some terrible hazing activity you had to do in college while running around the city in 108 degree heat? Yeah, me too. I can’t wait.
8) How did I not know about this before? Now that I do I’m eager to check out the Farmer’s Market, crafts tables, and food trucks at the SoWa Open Market in the South End.
9) Attend a BBQ Beach Party hosted by the Phantom Gourmet!
10) Go to a Sox game. Yes, I have done this many, many times before. But it never, ever gets old.
What’s on your summer ’11 bucket list?